To achieve our goals we are committed to running our operations as efficiently as possible to minimise the impact our nursery has on the environment. We set clear expectations for practices on our sites to ensure they do not harm the environment and our aim is to inspire our suppliers and customers to grow and sell plants that are more suited to the environments for which they are intended using sustainable growing methods.
To achieve our goals we:
- Comply with all relevant statutory, legal and regulatory environmental requirements.
- Aim to reduce our consumption of fossil fuel sourced utilities i.e. oil, electricity and water by using more sustainable sources of energy and water where feasible i.e. biomass, solar (PV), LED lighting and the use of electric vehicles.
- Train our staff to reduce the amount of waste produced on the nursery wherever possible through the reduction of raw materials such as paper and plastic etc.
- Separate recyclable waste where possible to reduce the amount sent to landfill and use responsible methods for the disposal of non-recyclable waste.
- Source all peat from sustainable sources wherever possible to reduce the impact on the depletion of the planets peat bogs and further develop alternatives to the use of peat in our growing methods.
- Minimise fertiliser applications to reduce the run off of contaminants into local water sources using control release fertilisers contained in the growing media and training staff to monitor plant requirements prior to applying additional feed.
- Minimise chemical applications to prevent build-up of immunity and contamination to local water sources by using alternative biological controls where possible.
- Preserving local wildlife around the nursery through the use of natural borders and windbreaks to maximise areas for nesting etc.
- Source all raw plant material from virus free sources to prevent the spread of plant viruses in the wild.
- Operate strict hygiene policies to prevent the spread of plant viruses and bacteria between varieties.
- Select new products based environmental criteria such as tolerance to drought and resistance to natural diseases etc.
- Have procedures in place in case of outbreak of non-indigenous pests to prevent their spread into the wild.
- Liaise with DEFRA to ensure that we are selling responsibly and adhere to any restrictions in place for the transit of our products.
- Continually look to improve our environmental policies and plan to further improve our practices.